Mooring Buoys in
Komodo National Park
Move cursor over mooring buoy
site for details...
Mooring Buoys for Komodo National Park
The Komodo National Park Authority recognised the need for permanent
moorings in Komodo National Park to safeguard the coral reefs and
enhance boat safety. Sponsorship for 10 big boat moorings and 14
small boat moorings was raised in 2003 and the moorings installed.
Since then the number of boats using the Park has increased considerably
and additional moorings are required.
In keeping with Putri Naga Komodo's mandate to help Komodo National
Park ecosystems and natural beauty, and to promote sustainable tourism
in the Park, PT. Putri Naga Komodo (PNK) will support the fundraising
for a project to install up to 30 permanent moorings in the Komodo
National Park. The purpose of these mooring buoys will be to protect
the park against anchor damage for tourist boats and to provide
save mooring for visiting vessels.
Helen Newman has proposed to implement this project and to raise
50% of the total USD 64,400 to make this happen (project
summary). PNK has committed to raise a challenge grant that
will match 1:1 all other donations towards this project, therewith
covering 50% of the total budget.
The selection of sites will be undertaken in consultation with Park
Authorities, harbour master and tourism operators who are utilising
the parks facilities and are familiar with the area. Helen Newman
has undertaken to source for the additional sponsorship, determine
the sites and to install the moorings using an approved environmentally
friendly embedded mooring system.
Donations and Enquiries to
Gg Kertapura IV/34
Tel 62 (0) 361 462 531
Cell 62 (0) 813 387 53770
Intl 65 (0) 97312677
The following dive operators and tourism related agencies have pledged
donations to the project.
Adam Powell (www.adamaqua.com)
- Aman Resorts (www.amanresorts.com)
- Ikan Biru (www.bluemarlindive.com)
- Bob Large
- Dive Komodo (www.divekomodo.com)
- Diving for Images (www.diving4images.com)
- Grand Komodo (www.komodoalordive.com)
- Kararu (www.kararu.com)
- Mermaid (www.mermaid-liveaboards.com)
- Mona Lisa (www.monalisacruises.com)
- Ombak Biru (www.ombakputih.com)
- Ombak Putih (www.ombakputih.com)
- Ondina (www.thebestdivingintheworld.com/ENG/index.html)
- Pegaso (www.yachtpegaso.com)
- Pelagian (www.wakatobi.com)
- Pindito (www.pindito.com)
- Project AWARE (www.projectaware.org)
- Seahorse (www.indocruises.com)
- Seven Seas (www.thesevenseas.net)
- Silalona (www.silalona.com)